Sunday, May 28, 2017

The Morning After

Now I know what you're thinking. It's probably going along the lines of this:

Oh...my...god. Lindsay's telling us a morning after story. What kind of girl is she?

This is also the point where, if you're like me, would pull up a seat, grab some popcorn, and be prepared for a wild story that you're not sure to believe or not, but it's entertaining, so who cares? Or you could roll your eyes and say, nah, not in the mood for one of those stories, and exit out of the tab.

Don't worry, it's not that kind of morning after story. I promise.

But on May 25, 2017, I got to experience a tradition that almost every single high school student does at least once in their high school career. I attended my senior prom.

*Gasp!*

I know right! lol. Of all the juicy moments.

And I honestly had the time of my life. I ate prime rib and the loaded potatoes, holy crap, they were fancier looking than me.

Honestly though, I can't remember a time where the chef took the time to make a loaded baked potato outshine the guests. And they put flowers on the plates too! Sorry, I'm getting caught up in the food again. Anyways, I had three Shirley Temples and danced my ass off. At one point I even ended up twerking. What can I say, the music moved me, lol. And within five minutes of getting home I was out of my dress and into my bed clothes and fell asleep with my pins, all 52 of them, still in my hair.

My mom called me a light weight. Oh well. 🤷

The next morning however was very... Earth crashing for me. Because the next day was Senior Skip day, and except for two days during the next week, I didn't have to go to school. Prom day was my last day at school. And I realized that, there were no more school dances to look forward to, no more 7:23 classes that I had to drag my feet to. Nothing.

It was all...done.

The only important day I had left to look forward to will be June 2nd, the day I get my diploma and leave High School behind for forever.

It felt so weird being home during the day, I actually got to stay in my bed until noon. Instead of following the tradition of going to the Cape with the rest of the seniors for the weekend, I stayed home, did my chores, all while a single thought kept going 'round and 'round in my mind.

High school is now over.

I haven't even gotten my diploma yet and I'm already missing high school. It's one of the biggest cliches in the book, that your high school years will be the best four years of your life and that you'll miss them when they're gone. But it's one hundred percent true.

I know for some people, they would just rather black out those four years and move on to better things. But for me, high school was the best time for me as a person. I seriously grew as a person, figuratively and literally.  While yes, I can still be a shy and quiet person who sometimes prefers spending her nights on the couch either reading/writing/watching Dateline (sometimes all at once) , I no longer let that shyness keep me from doing things anymore. Instead of painfully waiting for the other person to start the conversation, I'm greeting that person with a smile and hello. I may not know what to say all the time, but I'm trying and that's all that matters.

These last four years let me become the person I was always meant to become.

There's a quote that I can't remember who said it, but it always stuck with me.

Be the person you needed when you were younger.

I know, pretty deep. But it's true. And I'll be honest, having someone come up to you with just a smile a handshake and a simple hello, and you can see them trying to think of things to say, to keep that conversation no matter how small going, can be the best thing of all time. Because not a lot of people are trying anymore. 

Later on however, I realized that high school isn't the end. In the fall I will be attending college, where there are a shit ton more things to do, and people to meet. My life doesn't end the day I walk across that stage on June 2nd, it's only the end of a chapter in the story of my life. I, we, all have at least a dozen more chapters to go through.

My life is just starting.

And I realized this, the morning after my prom.

While the future can be scary, nerve wracking, a giant pain in the ass at times, it's still exciting. There's still something to look forward to.

Sure I might say, I'm not ready for this, or, why does this have to happen? While a part of it is true, I mean it all in good nature. Because it's life, and if you can't look forward to something even as small as simple smile from a stranger, a hello in passing, or a compliment from your friend or stranger, then how can you expect yourself to enjoy the larger things?

This was so not your average, morning after story. 😄

But I'm not your average girl either.

I'm ready to take on the world, no matter what it throws at me.

Y'all have a good night now! And have a wonderful Memorial day!

😊

-Lindsay Stenico


No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Blog Posts

A Quick Post Before Class

10:14 am Hey y'all! Things have been pretty hectic since my last post, and if it seems like I've dropped off the face of the ear...