Friday, May 19, 2017

Life Is Not A Book...Sadly

Hey y'all!

Wow, it's already been a week since I last posted. Sorry about that! But surprisingly, a lot has happened in these past seven days. I am officially down to 4 more days left of school before the big ole' prom, (extremely excited of course 😁), and then graduation on June 2nd.

It's just whizzing by before I've even had a chance to blink.

Of course I'm excited and all, I won't have to wake up at five thirty in the morning any more (thank god!). But it's going to be extremely weird not seeing all those familiar faces in the hallways. In the fall I'll be in college.

Wow.

I'm an adult now. When did that happen? I don't recall signing up for that just yet, lol.

But then it got me thinking, and that's always interesting when it does, what have I exactly done in these last four years of high school to stand out? I'm still not sure if taking a moment to think of everything that I've done so far was a good idea or not, at the moment it seems to be a good thing so I'll go with that.

To be honest, I haven't really done much. Granted, there were things that would come up that I just couldn't change, but still, even when there were moments that I could have done something, I sat in the background letting other people have their chance. Don't get me wrong, helping others find what makes them them is a wonderful thing, but when it keeps you from finding yourself, aren't you just hindering yourself?

We read about these moments all the time where the nerd falls in love with the star jock all the time and barely anything had to happen! Or any of those stereotyped situations in fiction that are always being redone in a new way. But in real life, it's not like that at all. If you want something, you can't just stand there and wait for it to happen, you have to make it happen.

Do you wanna learn how to play the guitar? Take lessons or teach yourself via YouTube.

Do you wanna be a doctor? Take those medical courses, push yourself everyday to be the best.

Is there a guy that you want to notice you? Take that leap, make the first move. Guys don't have to be the ones who initiate everything.

Do you wanna be the first person to bring dinosaurs back to Earth? Study everything about that field and do your best with your experiments. (Although may I just point out, Jurassic Park. We all know how those movies end.)

Whatever it is that you want to do, do it. Go after your dreams and don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it. At the same time however, you have to live as well. You can immerse yourself into your studies all you want, but then you'll miss out on all those moments that don't come very often. The moments that you want to remember when your eighty and recalling those stupid things you used to do that still bring a smile to your face and make you chuckle.

Today at my school, a couple of the seniors made their own slip 'n slide as a senior prank in the front of the school. It's been 90 degrees these last few days and let me tell you, that water felt amazing. Of course it was during a period I had to give a speech in, and in the past I would have never cut a class just to go out to a slip 'n slide. (Don't worry, I'm still not that rebellious.)

But I presented my speech and when I was finished headed outside, kicked my shoes off, and after standing around for a few moments, a friend of mine and I took a head start and we went sliding. It was the most fun I've ever had, just standing there soaked in water with a bunch of kids I knew and kinda knew, (because who really knows everyone in their grade?), enjoying our last few days as seniors.

As a writer, it's our jobs to create these moments that our audience can relate to. Whether it's an embarrassing moment that everyone has gone through at some point, or a really emotional time that forces us to step back and take a moment to collect ourselves. Or we want to create these places that just jump out at you and make you go, Oh! I wanna go to Ireland now.  You can basically picture the town in your mind.

Some authors, if they're lucky enough, can travel to the places that they want to write about, and be able to capture the true essence of the town or country.

Well...that's a lot harder to do when you're only 18. At this age, the internet is still our best friend for research. (That's you Google!)

These last few moments as a senior, being with my friends, it's not only a memory to reflect back on, but I can use those emotions I felt at the time in my writing. The nerves I had at the thought of cutting a class, the excitement as we prepared to take a running start, the laughter that escaped as we went sliding down the tarp and the guys sprayed water on us.

And I could have just stayed inside my class listening to my classmates give speech after speech, wishing that I had the courage to go outside to join in on the fun. I used to live my life afraid of those moments, always worried that I would get in trouble or something else. My senior year however, it's given me a new look at things. The other day I told my friend this:

"The reason I have so much confidence right now is because it's senior year, and we have six days left."

There are a 180 school days, as a senior, I get out earlier than the rest of the underclassmen. So let's say I have, 150 days to complete. We get out a little over a month earlier. That's not enough time to wrap everything up in a neat little bow.

So I guess what I'm trying to get at here is that you should do what you love. If it means putting in 80 hours a week to do it, then alright. You do what you gotta do. But don't forget to step back and take a moment to hang out with your friends. Do something stupid and crazy. Just not illegal of course, lol.

Because if you don't take these moments as they come, your life is going to be one giant, what if? What is life without taking a risk every now and then? It's nothing but unanswered dreams.

And who wants that?

I sure don't. Not anymore at least.

Alright guys, I believe this is the end of tonight's blog entry. Sorry if it wasn't as exciting or happy as the last two have been. But when can I say, I'm a writer.

Have a wonderful and safe night everyone!

😊

-Lindsay Stenico




No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Blog Posts

My Comfy Writing Groove is Missing?

Writing is by far, as amazing as it can be, so weird. It never works out like how you want it to, it takes on it's own life and demand...